“Intercollegiate Athletics (at the U of I) is self supported and does not use state funds, taxpayer dollars, or university funds for our salary program.”
– Kent Brown, UI Athletic Department spokesperson
How many times have you heard that before? Have you ever wondered if it’s true?
It’s not. And here are all the details.
THE MULTIMILLION-DOLLAR HEAD FAKE is the most in-depth and revealing investigation into the inner-finances of the University of Illinois, Urbana Athletic Department ever conducted. Read it. It’s in four parts.
• Part One: ‘No Taxpayer Dollars’ For Coaches At the U of I? You May Be Surprised
• Part Two: U of I Athletic Director Gets a Raise, Taxpayers Get a Bill
• Part Three: The Athletic Fee That Isn’t There. Except It Is
• Part Four: Low Income Pays For Luxury
For more information on this or the upcoming documentary, please sign up below. Your email address will NOT be shared with anyone.
THE MULTIMILLION-DOLLAR HEAD FAKE by Jay Rosenstein
Also published on:
The Investigative Journalism Education Consortium Website (Here)
Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting, Investigate Midwest
Illinois Academe, Fall, 2017 edition
The Huffington Post – Part One • Part Two •.Part Three • Part Four
- Champaign News Gazette
- Illinois Public Media
- Chicago Tribune (note: instead of actually writing about the series, the Tribune instead used the news about the series to write a criticism of the public pension system of Illinois, one of their favorite political tropes. Have to say I feel as though I was used by them. They missed the point of the series entirely, instead just using it to reinforce one of their favorite narratives, just like Fox News.)
This series is dedicated to the memory of my two greatest teachers: Jerry Landay and Bob Reid. I know they would be proud.